Prom 2017: Hair, Makeup, A Lovely Date & More


Hello, lovelies!

First of all, I apologize profusely for the complete lack of posts these past few weeks. I've been swamped with end of the year schoolwork and AP exam studies, and that's taken up all of my free time. But hopefully in the next little bit I'll have my blogging schedule back in order. (:

My prom was actually on April 21 this year, so this is definitely going up later than I had hoped it would (which is also why this post is going up on a Sunday rather than a Tuesday or Friday, because I just wanted to get it out as soon as possible). I know the first thing you probably want to know is if I had a date this year, and the answer is yes. My boyfriend (surprise! I have one of those) and I took on prom together this year, which was a lot of fun, and I'm so glad I had such a sweet guy to spend the evening with. (Note: for privacy reasons, I'm keeping his face blocked out in all of the photos. Sorry!)

So to start, here's a little look at my accessories. My corsage was made up of three little white roses, some greenery, and both a silvery ribbon and a more peach-toned nude ribbon. Since I have really small wrists, I was glad I went with only three roses as opposed to four or five because the size ended up being perfect.

My earrings were ones that I already had in my collection, and they were basically just super sparkly faux diamond dangly earrings that made a sort of kite shape. I loved the way they look, and since my dress had a high neck I didn't feel the need to wear a necklace of any kind. I couldn't find any pictures of my shoes actually on my feet, but I did manage to find a picture of what they looked like. They were the same silvery-white color that my dress was, and they were actually surprisingly comfortable. I didn't even take them off until I got into the car on the way home which was pretty awesome.

Oh! Also, my dress is from Windsor, and I absolutely adored it. It was a nude/peach color with a sparkly silver and white overlay on it that mimicked the way that lace looks, but there was actually little metal links that held it together. I loved the way it fit, and once I got it hemmed it fit amazingly. We matched my date's tie to my nails, which were a slightly darker version of the peachy color that my dress had underneath the silver/white overlay.

   
As for my hair and makeup, I did both of them on my own this year. I really wanted to do a classic low bun updo this year, so I stalked Pinterest and YouTube for weeks before prom to find a style I liked. From the front you can see that I just swept the pieces back over the tops of my ears, and the back was curled and pinned up. I completed the look with a silvery-white hairpin that I've owned for years just for a pop of something fun in the look. (Also I apologize that the only pictures of my hair from the back are these unflattering shots where I'm pulling up my dress in one of them.)


Here's a better look at the makeup I did. My goal was to still look like me, but just a little bit amped up because it's prom. I went for an overall mostly neutral, slightly peach-toned eye look that was smoked out just a little bit in the outer corners for some depth (if you're curious, I used the Too Faced "Sweet Peach" palette to create it). I went very simple for my actual face makeup, since I just wanted to look glowy and not cakey at all. For my lips, I used Maybelline's "Clay Crush" matte lipstick, which is one of my favorites, and I knew it would wear well throughout the night.


As for how the actual night went, I'd say it was definitely a good one overall. My boyfriend came over to my house for a little bit before we went to a park downtown where everyone goes to take pictures with friends, and we did the whole corsage and boutonnière (thank you Google for teaching me how to spell that) thing. And, when he knocked on my door, he was holding a beautiful rose, and I smiled so big because I thought he looked amazing and I just wanted to give him a million hugs. (On a side note, I'm quite proud of myself for securing the boutonnière onto his suit without accidentally stabbing him with a pin because of how clumsy I am.)

After spending some time in the park telling everyone that they looked gorgeous, we made our way to where prom was actually supposed to take place. It was basically just a big building that different events are held at, and we all were in a big room that had been set up with tables with a dance floor in the middle. My date and I sat at a table with some of our other friends, and we just had a good time joking around and doing silly things like learning how to fold napkins like fancy people.

(Note: this is just a picture I found of the duo, not actually one from prom night.)

We ate dinner, and after that was the night's entertainment. It was two guys who called themselves rePercussion, and they were a duo that played drums on things like frying pans and overturned plastic trash containers. In a way, it reminded me a little bit of those street performers I've seen in Chicago who just play these amazing rhythms using random objects as their drums. The only problem I had with the two guys is that while they were pretty good, their humor had a little bit of a bite to it. At a few different points in their show, they brought some volunteers up on stage to teach them how to drum, but every time they joked around it was a little bit insulting and something that made me raise an eyebrow every time it happened.

The actual dancing portion was at the very end of the night, but the music wasn't really the kind you can dance easily to. ("Panda," I'm looking at you.) So we tried to dance for a little bit but ended up bailing after about an hour of trashy music being played without any sign of a slow dance song coming. And so we spent the rest of the night just being together and trying to keep me awake because I was just overcome by a random bout of sleepiness. So while everyone else was standing around on a crowded dance floor, we were adventuring and having the best time with just the two of us.

And that was perfect.

* * *

That is all.

Cheers,

Comments

  1. Your dress is so pretty! You look gorgeous in it!! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for commenting on this post. I love having conversations with you guys, so please be sure you check back for my reply. That way we can have a chat of epic proportions. (:

(Also, please keep your language clean so everyone can enjoy my blog. Thanks!)

Popular Posts