June Favorites (2015)

June is OVER! *cries*

I know it's cliche, but sheesh, time flies. This summer feels like it's dragging at some points, and at others, it feels like I need to grab a handrail and hold on for dear life because it's just flying by. And since June's already come and gone, I figured it's time for my monthly favorites again.

Shall we begin?

1.) Music

Happy Little Pill by Troye Sivan


Okay. Yes this song is essentially about drugs and losing yourself in drugs, but it's SO CATCHY. I listened to this song way back when he released it for the first time, but I still really like it. (I've been learning how to play it on the guitar too.) He has an amazing voice, and he's also a YouTuber who makes videos and also makes covers of songs.


The YouTube channel Superfruit, which consists of 2/5 of the Pentatonix crew did a cover of this song, and it's majestic. I love it so much.

2.) Books

All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven


I am obsessed with this book. I cried at the end of it, and like I've said before, it takes a good book to make me cry. Usually I just make a sad face and move on. It's such a great book to raise awareness about mental illness, but it also has a really amazing plot and even more amazing characters. (I adore the boy named Finch in this book.) I HIGHLY recommend this book to people who liked Paper Towns, TFIOS, Thirteen Reasons Why, and other books similar to them.

For the latest books I've read, click HERE.

3.) Miscellaneous

* Bay Leaf Books


There's a little bookshop called Bay Leaf Books in my home state of Michigan, and it is amazing. They have all kinds of books from nonfiction to fiction to YA books. It has that delicious book smell when you first walk in, and then when you're exploring the maze of shelves, it's intoxicating. Most secondhand bookstores have those weird old people books about romance, but this bookstore has hardcover and softcover versions of tons of popular books.

I went a little crazy in there and managed to pick up three of the Mortal Instruments books, two of the Inkheart trilogy, and even a Harry Potter one. There are some lesser popular YA books too, which made me happy, because we don't all want to buy Hunger Games despite what people think. Most of my hardcover books were never above 6$, and my soft covers were around 2-4$, which is pretty amazing since B&N usually charges like 20$ for hardcovers which is crazy expensive. So even though I got six books, my bill was under 30$, with two hardcovers in that stack. I wish this bookstore was closer to home, but it's sadly about an hour away. That's probably for the best. I'd most likely spend all my money on books otherwise. (Oh wait, I do that anyway.)

* High-Waisted Shorts


I ADORE these kinds of shorts. It's kind of strange, but as I've gone through high school I've figured out what clothes fit me really well and what clothes look really bad on me (I sadly cannot pull of billowy tops because it looks like I'm drowning in them). I've recently discovered that high-waisted shorts are among the things I can pull off. Huzzah! I've always loved high-waisted skirts and skater skirts, but high-waisted shorts are perfect for summer. Throw in a crop top, and that's my perfect outfit. Maybe it's because I'm a small person that these outfits work on me?

* Strappy Wedge Sandals

This was the closest thing I could find to a picture of the sandals I have (and even then, this shoe is WAY fancier than mine). I've got a brown and a black pair of sandals that I think are perfect for summer. They're fancy enough that I could go out for dinner in them, but casual enough that it wouldn't be weird for me to go mini golfing in them (which I have done). Being a shorty, I like being able to wear the tiniest little pair of heeled sandals because I can feel classy and elegant but not like a giraffe.

* My Guitar


This is a picture of the same model that my guitar is (Taylor Big Baby if you're curious, and yes, I know the name is humorous). But I've been weirdly obsessing with it this past month. I'm really enjoying finding my favorite songs and then looking up the chords for that song so that I can play and sing along with it. There's just something so satisfying about hearing a song playing on the radio you've learned on an instrument and thinking, "Aw, yeah, I can play that." So far I've taught myself Wildest Dreams, Tenerife Sea, and most of Happy Little Pill. My guitar lessons have got me playing a bunch of other songs, but those are ones I taught myself to play. Who knows? Maybe someday I'll stick a video of me singing one of those on my blog if you'd like.

* Messy Buns/Ponytails

I know it's kind of a mundane thing, but I've been wearing so many messy buns and high ponytails to keep the hair out of my face and off my neck as things start warming up. I've also been trying to grow my hair out, which means my bangs are growing too and if I leave them down they flop in my face all the time. (I really need to get them trimmed.) But the magic of an updo thing is that you can get your bangs out of the way and still have them look cute. I'm a fan.


* This Dog Video

Just watch it.


* * *

What have you been loving this month? Leave a comment and let me know!

That is all.

Cheers,
Seana

PS: Thanks for 60+ followers on my blog! You guys are so lovely and I love each one of you. Whether you stop by every day, once a month, or you've just found my blog today, thanks a million!

Comments

  1. Hello and happy July! Lovely post as ever Seana.

    I WANT TO READ ATBP SO MUCH.

    Also that bookshop sounds amazing! I love secondhand bookshops (of course I do ...). I'm going to Portugal tomorrow and there is this incredible one in the village there so I'm v excited to visit!

    It's so cool that you're learning guitar. Aww, you can play Tenerife Sea?! What a song. Yes, do upload videos! (I am thinking the same thing. I'm going to make a vlog. As soon as someone tags me for something with questions ..... I'm going to answer them vlog style. I know, I'm crazy.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Em. (: Happy July to you as well.

      ATBP IS AMAZING READ NOW AND YOU WILL REGRET NOTHING.

      Also: PORTUGAL?! Look at you, ya little world traveler you. (: I want to go travel Europe so badly, and let's not leave out Australia of course. Have fun in Portugal! Better brush up on your Spanish.

      My version of Tenerife Sea doesn't have his exact little guitar flicks and things, and the chords are a lil bit different just because I'd have to do a ton of tuning to a different key and all that complicated jazz. (: The only problem I have with recording videos is that all available filming stuff I have is pretty junky and the audio would be horrendous (sorry, Apple). You neeeeeed to make a vlog! I want to see what your gorgeous face looks like.

      Delete
    2. All The Bright Places is a beautiful book. It didn't make me cry, but it still made me sad.
      A really good book that I just read was Like No Other by Una LaMarche. It's really diverse and fantastic and sad and I think you'd like it.

      ~D .Skye <3

      Delete
    3. I cried. Very much. (:

      Ooh, I'll stick that book on my list of ones to read. Thank you!

      Delete
    4. I want to go round all of Europe. France! Prague! Spain! Take me there!
      (Also, Sea, I don't know if "Better brush up on your Spanish" is irony ... because ... you know ... in Portugal ... they speak Portuguese ... )

      Ah, yes, well, we can't all be Ed! I feel you RE the filming thing. I don't know how I'm going to make my vlog. (Gorgeous face hahahaha.)

      Delete
    5. Okay, I realized only after publishing that comment that they speak Portuguese. Complete brain fart on my part. (: So no, I wasn't trying to be witty or ironic, sadly.

      Oh come now, you can't possibly look like the Loch Ness Monster.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for commenting on this post. I love having conversations with you guys, so please be sure you check back for my reply. That way we can have a chat of epic proportions. (:

(Also, please keep your language clean so everyone can enjoy my blog. Thanks!)

Popular Posts