My Love/Hate Relationship

Settle down, settle down.

Stop staring at your screen like that, it's not something big and juicy.

My love/hate relationship is with the internet.

Oh, the internet! Such a glorious, wonderful thing! Such a horrible, smelly thing as well.

It can be fabulous when I really need to look up what a water buffalo eats and when it likes to sing. It's really handy when I need to see some authentic swordplay in action so that I don't have my main character dancing the polka instead of dealing the death blow. The internet has helped me so much to make my writing accurate to a time period, to a group of people, or to the local sea anemone population.

The internet is kind of like a writer's magic wand. It brings us information at the click of a mouse and a flick of the wrist.

That can also be a writer's nightmare. (Or a student's!) I'll be happily writing my scene where the boy finally finds his lost goose, and then my brain thinks, "OOH! Now's an excellent time to get distracted by Twitter! And Pinterest! And hair tutorials! HUZZAH!"

Even writing this post I got distracted and went on Twitter for a bit. Oops.

Proof:


So you can see that the internet can be both wonderful, but at the same time very distracting. I've learned over the years how to discipline myself better so that I get things done and I get my time to have fun and do random things.

Do you have a love/hate relationship?

Comments

  1. LOL!!! i hear ya! it distracts me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am ashamed to say I looked up singing water buffaloes after reading this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everybody's got a water buffaloooooo, my is fast and yours is slowwww....

      (Did you get my reference?)

      Delete
    2. Everybody's got a baby kangaroo, mine is red and yours is blueeeeee...

      Delete
    3. *virtual hug* SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS!

      Delete
  3. Yup. Tis a devillish place of beautiful, evil wonder. Fortunately I don't have wifi in my room so I can write there ... but then when I do need to know exactly what vellum is made of or what a dulcimer looks like, I'm a bit stuck. ~sigh~ Maybe we wouldn't need it so much if we wrote contemporaries ... but who wants to do THAT?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having no wifi is both a blessing and a curse. I haven't the slightest idea what vellum or dulcimer is, so perhaps right now wifi is my best friend as I hunt down Google, eh? Ahaha, yes, contemporaries do seem to have a lot less magical objects and crazy stuff, but they can be quite good!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for commenting on this post. I love having conversations with you guys, so please be sure you check back for my reply. That way we can have a chat of epic proportions. (:

(Also, please keep your language clean so everyone can enjoy my blog. Thanks!)

Popular Posts