How To Despicably Train Your Dragon

On my days off from school, I almost always spend the entire day watching movies. There's just something about curling up in a moon chair and getting comfy inside of a blanket with a bowl of popcorn. So on Monday (which was two days ago), I did just that. I spent a few hours watching Despicable Me and How To Train Your Dragon. (Hence my odd post title.)

There are things I learned from both movies, things that I've jotted down on a sticky note so that I can remember it.

From Despicable Me, I learned how much humor can add to a movie. Seriously, that was some funny stuff.


The same concept goes for books. Some books just would not be the same without the humor. But you can't just add some random funnies in here and there. The novel has to be one that calls for the humor. Most people wouldn't try and be funny in a history book, because the book doesn't call for anything funny. It's there to tell people about the past. Funny books are there to give the reader enjoyment, to add a bit of spice to a boring day.


From Despicable Me, I also learned that I need to get me some of those minions. They could be very, very helpful sometime.

Perspective was huge in this movie too. Sure, we all know Gru's supposed to be the bad guy, but we can't help rooting for him. The way the movie is portrayed gives us the feel that he's not all bad. Sure, he's the villain, but he's doing what he thinks is right.

Now, from How To Train Your Dragon, I was shown some great plot twists at the end.


In most movies the main character that you're rooting for goes down and you think they die, more often than not, they don't. Hiccup was no exception, except for the fact that something happens to him. He doesn't die, he's just....well, I won't give that away.

But this movie was huge with plot twists. There were a few funny parts, but it wasn't like a full-on laugh fest like DM was. Some of the plot twists made me really really sad, others surprised, and others still made me happy. They were good plot twists.


In both of these movies, the characterization was well done. In the first movie, Gru starts out as being your typical self-centered villain, taking what he wants when he wants. He wants to be the best villain out there, and has big plans for stealing the moon. But by the end, we realize he's nothing but a big softie underneath. He cares about the girls, and he loves them like daughters.

In the second movie, Hiccup goes from being completely determined to fit in, to kill a dragon. But by the end he realizes that that's not what he wants. He wants to end the killing, to have dragons and men live peacefully. He was scared of not fitting in before, but now....now he knows what really matters.

I would recommend both of these movies, especially the second, which has some wicked awesome music going on during the action scenes.

Comments

  1. That is an amazing review! You sound like an author. :) Keep up the awesome work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you! Sounding like an author's a step in the right direction, I suppose. (:

      Delete
  2. I love Despicable Me! One of my favorite movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "It's so fluffy! It's so fluffy I'm gonna die!"
      I love her obsession with unicorns. (:

      Delete
    2. Who doesn't? :)

      ~Robyn Hoode

      Delete
  3. I love both of these movies! And the music from HTTYD is awesome! The guy who did the music for that movie also did the music for The Lorax. And the music ther is awesome too!

    ~Robyn Hoode

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love How to Train Your Dragon, but Despicable Me... well, I had to agree with the title. I hated Gru from the moment I saw him. I feel for villains who have been pushed into evil because they couldn't be accepted elsewhere (Megamind), but villains who are villains because they want to be are detestable to me. I feel for the ones who are always in conflict with themselves (Gollum), but not the hard-core ones. Those are the ones we enjoy seeing ground into the dust. In short, I didn't like Gru. If that movie taught me anything, it was that you have to make me care before you try to tell an emotional story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you have your opinions, I have mine. But I do agree that you need to care about the characters before a story can really get going. I felt that way about quite a few books I've read. The characters could have died for all I cared.

      Delete
    2. I don't think we're actaully supposed to like villians at all...
      In the story, Gru wasn't the villian... not really. He is the... protagonist who started out wanting to be the antagonist.
      So, question for Liam, could Gru have been a better villian if they had given him a better reason for being one?
      ~Robyn Hoode

      Delete
    3. Precisely, Robyn. If they had given him a history, perhaps, he would be more likable. Instead, we see a guy who answers the door with a mace. Humorous, in a morbid way, but it doesn't endear the character.

      Delete
    4. But it was a comedy. Humor is good, morbid or otherwise.

      ~Robyn

      Delete
    5. I take it the relationship between Gru and his mom wasn't enough for you?

      ~Robyn Hoode

      Delete
  5. Seana, if I were you, I'd delete that top comment before it eats your computer.
    ~Robyn Hoode

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I wonder if this one's a new one? Thanks, Hilda. (:

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for commenting on this post. I love having conversations with you guys, so please be sure you check back for my reply. That way we can have a chat of epic proportions. (:

(Also, please keep your language clean so everyone can enjoy my blog. Thanks!)

Popular Posts