Why Do I Write?

Why do I write?

Yikes. Big, scary question.

There's no simple answer to this question. Unlike questions such as: What is your favorite color? There isn't an easy one-word answer to it. I was debating this question a day or so ago, and decided, hey, why not make a post out of it?

Here we go.

One reason I write is because I read. Confused? I'll explain. There are so many books out there, and each have their own plots, characters, settings, etc. The books wrap you in a story that you would have never been able to imagine on your own. But sometimes I read a book and think, "I wish the author had done something different with that scene/character." And that gets me thinking about what I would have done instead. And that gets the wheels turning in my head. The things I would change about books shows me what I value in a book. I want to take all of the things that I value in a book, and create a book that has most of those things.

Another reason I write is because it's just in my bones. Some people out there can think up random plots out of the blue after seeing something happen in their life, or when inspiration decides to drop in. I am one of them. If I keep all of my ideas in my head, I fear it may explode. I kind of think of putting my ideas to paper is sort of like Dumbledore's pensieve. He puts his memories inside of the bowl, but at any time he can take it back out again if he so chooses. He also can go into his memory and live it. That's a bit like how I feel when I write. I can place my thoughts down, live through my character's tales, but if I don't like something, I can always edit it back out.

I guess you could say I also write because I like the feeling of accomplishment I feel when I finish a short story, a poem. Everyone likes that feeling where you can just sit back in your comfy chair, kick your feet up and sigh happily, and so do I.

So.

Why do you write?

Comments

  1. Wow, that's a great idea for a post, Seana! I've been thinking about that lately, too. :) Generally, I write to help others. To help them see things differently, or to inspire them, or to...to change something in them to be different than it was before they read what I've written. I write to help people see things they've never seen before. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      That is an awesome reason to write! Helping people and inspiring people are things that writers do best. (:

      Delete
  2. Oh, dear, I wish I could answer as eloquently as you just did. *claps for Seana's awesome post*
    Sometimes I write to pass time, because I can spend hours clicking and clacking away at the keyboard if I have an idea in my head. Other times I write to procrastinate, because I much prefer my fiction lands in my stories over page-long polynomials and conjugating verbs and such.
    I also write because I feel like the world needs stories. My life wouldn't be nearly so awesome if I wasn't wrapped around Harry Potter or the Hunger Games or any of the other many awesome books in this world.Reading provides a sort of entertainment, as does writing.

    Hmm...not sure if that made sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *bows* Thank you! I'm sure you could do a great post on this though. (:

      Ah, yes. Procrastination is one of my talents. Writing definitely does help pass time, but for me, I find it really hard to concentrate on writing when there's homework looming over my shoulder and demanding to be finished. :P

      I agree. A world without stories would be the saddest world out there. There would be nothing to take our imaginations for a roller coaster ride, nothing to inspire us. A world without Harry Potter is a world that I would not enjoy.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for commenting on this post. I love having conversations with you guys, so please be sure you check back for my reply. That way we can have a chat of epic proportions. (:

(Also, please keep your language clean so everyone can enjoy my blog. Thanks!)

Popular Posts