Book Review: Skybreaker

I've finished book #2 of this series, and now here's my review.

Skybreaker
Kenneth Oppel
Genre: Fantasy, Sci-Fi

Summary:
Former cabin boy Matt Cruse, now a student at the prestigious Airship Academy, is first to identify the Hyperion, the private airship of a reclusive and fabulously wealthy inventor that disappeared forty years ago with its owner. Armed with the Hyperion’s coordinates, which only he possesses, Matt, heiress Kate de Vries, and a mysterious young gypsy board the Sagarmatha, an airship fitted with the new skybreaker engines that will allow them to reach the Hyperion, 20,000 feet above the earth’s surface. Pursued by others who want the Hyperion and will stop at nothing to get it, and surrounded by dangerous high-altitude life forms, Matt and his companions are soon fighting not only for the Hyperion but for their very lives.

Thoughts:
If some comes up to you with this book and says, "You should read--" You should instantly:
1. Look for the nearest exit
2. If the said exit is locked, attempt to cut them off mid-sentence with a poke to the eye
3. If the person is significantly taller than you, and, therefore, out of eye-poking reach, lift up your pant legs as high as they go because you are about to wade through some really smelly stuff.

To put this in a short format because I'm short on time, here's what it looked like.

Plot: Predictable. I was able to calculate every step of the way what they would be doing. Those pirates that are invading? Yeah, the MC (main character) is going to defeat them! DIDN'T SEE THAT ONE COMING! >.<
Humor: I was able to expect it, and therefore it was not funny whatsoever.
Love: The love triangles were so easy to predict as well. The guy she's in love with? Well, he's going to end up all selfish-like and end up with that one guy AGAIN.
Characters: Many of them that showed up in the first book did not come up again for book #2, and the author spent a while telling me about the new characters, which bored me to no end. I really didn't care if that one character is injured because I felt like there was no depth to them. They were cardboard cut-outs.

Over all, I did not really enjoy it...

Star Rating: 3

Sorry that review was so brief, but I accidentally deleted my in-depth one and I had to create this one in a matter of 5 minutes. Blah.

Comments

  1. This review sounded to me like you read this book with the goal of getting it done, not with the goal of enjoying it.
    This was the book with the love quadrangle Z, and I thought it would interest you, but obviously not.
    I'm beginning to wonder whether I should ever give you any suggestions again. My eyes are getting sore from your frequent poking. I would have thought that you'd try to write a fair review, but I suppose if the book didn't interest you at all... You might as well disregard the last book of the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, my final review on this series is not of the eye-poking quality. I actually quite enjoyed the final book in the series, so I hope it will not bore you to death to read my review.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for commenting on this post. I love having conversations with you guys, so please be sure you check back for my reply. That way we can have a chat of epic proportions. (:

(Also, please keep your language clean so everyone can enjoy my blog. Thanks!)

Popular Posts