Tips for the aspiring author, from an author!

Recently I emailed Heather Vogel Frederick since even if I'm a tad old for her Mother-Daughter Book Club series, I still love them. She emailed me back, and she included some very good advice for anyone out there who's a writer themselves.


Dear Seana,

What a great email to find waiting for me!  I'm so sorry for this belated reply -- I'm afraid I'm w-a-y behind on answering mail as I've been busy traveling over the past few months, teaching writing workshops, and launching my new book ONCE UPON A TOAD (a funny "fractured fairy tale").

I'm thrilled to hear that you love my books, and that they feel so real to you.  (They feel that way to me, too!)  That means I've done my job as a writer.  And as for writing tips, I'm happy to share a few with a fellow author.  Here are my top three:

#1  READ READ READ READ READ.  This is absolutely the most important thing you can do right now as a budding writer.  Just as an aspiring musician would listen to the very best music, to hear how experienced musicians play their instruments, so aspiring writers read the very best books, to see how experienced authors tell stories.  Think of yourself as a sponge, just soaking up all those beautiful words.  Later, when you sit down to write your own stories, all that beauty will come flowing out your pen.  So above all, keep reading!

#2 Keep a notebook handy.  You never know when inspiration will strike, and it's good to have a notebook nearby to jot ideas down, otherwise they tend to vanish.  I speak from sad experience. : )

#3  Have fun.  Don't put pressure on yourself to get something published.  Just enjoy the process and allow yourself time to grow as a writer.  If writing isn't a joy, you'll be tempted to set it aside.  Keep it fun.

Thanks again for writing to me, Seana.  Happy Summer, and keep reading!

Your friend,

Heather Frederick



So there ya have it! Hope that this helps you out with any tips you need. (:
~Sea

Comments

  1. I always enjoy hearing writing tips, even from authors whose work I have no desire to pick up. (Again, don't stone me.) Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite welcome, and since I'm in a good mood, there shall be no stoning.

      Delete
    2. Indeed, especially since I'm the owner of the Scylla Stoner 2000 manufacturing corps. How will you ever manage without that? (If you're wondering what I'm talking about, just wait a few days-- a fake advertisement will probably pop up on my blog about this.)

      Delete
    3. Ooh, sounds intriguing! I shall indeed stop by your blog when it's posted.

      Delete
    4. ...Or it might not be posted. I don't know yet.

      Delete
  2. Cool! I also received an email from her (a great moment in my life!). As for being too old for MDBC...I always say, "You're never too old for a good book." :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is true and wonderful advice for writers of all levels (beginning to published). Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful letter to Heather with all of us. It is truly helpful. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so very welcome. I can't hoard all the good advice to myself, now can I? (:

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for commenting on this post. I love having conversations with you guys, so please be sure you check back for my reply. That way we can have a chat of epic proportions. (:

(Also, please keep your language clean so everyone can enjoy my blog. Thanks!)

Popular Posts