Book Review: Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo

Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo
Obert Skye
Genre: Fantasy

Summary:

WELCOME TO FOO.
Fourteen-year-old Leven Thumps (a.k.a. "Lev") lives a wretched life in Burnt Culvert, Oklahoma. But his life is about to change and his destiny be fulfilled as he learns about a secret gateway that bridges two worlds -- the real world and Foo, a place created at the at the beginning of time in the folds of the mind that makes it possible for mankind to dream and hope, aspire and imagine. But Foo is in chaos, and three transplants from that dreamworld have been sent to retrieve Lev, who alone has the power to save Foo.
Enter Clover, a wisecracking, foot-high sidekick; Winter, a girl with a special power of her own; and Geth, the rightful heir to Foo. Their mission: to convince Lev that he has the power to save Foo. Can this unique band of travelers help Lev overcome his doubt? Will Lev find the gateway in time? Or will Sabine and his dark shadows find the gateway first and destroy mankind?


Thoughts:
Alright. I admit it. I was skeptical. Very. I mean really, when you look at this book's title it's quite a really long title, you know. I don't really like titles that say [insert character's name] and the [insert main event in story], but that's just me I suppose. And the "Foo" part of it also sounded a tad...odd. But I like odd, so I decided, "Oh, what the hey! Let's read it." And so I did.

I must say, it lived up to my expectations. The whole series did in fact. But I shall do a note on the whole series at the end of this post, how's that?

The characters in this book were really well-developed and had their individual personalities that made the book's plot work nicely.They all had their different aspects, whether it be annoying, chipper, or simply odd, and they each played a part in this book.

The plot was excellent. Plenty of plot twists to keep me busy (it was on average one twist a chapter), and I usually hadn't a clue what was coming. Certainly a talking toothpick was not in the plan!

Star Rating: 4.7

And now......

A QUICK THOUGHT FROM THE OTHER BOOKS IN THIS SERIES. DO NOT READ ON IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE SAID SERIES. THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION. THE EXIT IS TO YOU LEFT...OR MAYBE IT IS YOUR RIGHT. EITHER WAY, THANKS.

Ahem.

So anyways, here's what I think. The characters of the next book were quite well done, and there was one character, Azure I believe his name is, that had a brilliant story behind him. I loved how the author had all of his good stuffed into his right ear while the rest of him was evil. It just goes to show you that people are never fully evil.

I also thoroughly enjoyed Clover since he's always so oblivious and random, it makes me laugh every time. Although I've learned that you shouldn't take food from sycophants because the end result could either be good or bad or a disaster. So there you go.

<3 Seana

Comments

  1. This is one of the most creative, funniest series that exists. Obert Skye is awesome. His similes are the coolest things ever, something I've tried my hardest to replicate. A lot of my characters are copies of Skye's characters: Ezra=Steve and Clover=Feiron. I hope they aren't too similar, but they weren't my original idea, exactly. Talking inanimate objects are awesome, though-- who could resist?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Steve and Feiron have their own little twists that make them unique. I can see Ezra and Steve's similarities now that you mention it, though.
      Yes. Talking inanimate objects rule!

      Delete
    2. Well, you haven't seen Feiron's never-ending invisible backpack hanging in the air behind him, from which he procures anything from gold ingots to refrigerators. Sounds like Clover's Void yet?
      The only difference between Ezra and Steve, other than their makeup (not eye shadow and fingernail polish-- just want to get that straight), is the fact that Ezra has a purpose to his life (end Geth's life prematurely!), whereas Steve has rather useless lifestyle where he just rails against Sam's geniality.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for commenting on this post. I love having conversations with you guys, so please be sure you check back for my reply. That way we can have a chat of epic proportions. (:

(Also, please keep your language clean so everyone can enjoy my blog. Thanks!)

Popular Posts