Been There, Done That. Several Times.

In my writing journey, I've noticed that a lot of the times my writing as been rocky in areas, whereas in others it is smooth sailing. Well, during those rocky areas, it is not fun writing and when you've finished writing that said area, you tend to look at it with a look of disgust and a smack to the face. At least I do. I'm not sure if you out there are the face-smacking type.


What I'm saying here, is don't be afraid to rewrite and revise what you've written. Heaven knows, I'm going to do have to do a boatload of that later, and I'm not looking forward to it. (You see, Melody's Song has taken a turn for the worse. I read what I'd originally written, and the characters are sitting around doing almost nothing, and it just sounds like a load of rubbish. So, I'm going to do some serious editing, make personalities stand out, add a new character that's going to be a lot of fun, and switch it from first person present tense to third person past tense. And I am probably going to change the title as well....) When you write stuff, it is not said and done! No sirree. You have the power to change it. (That sounded mighty cheesey...)


Say a character just doesn't have the right zestiness to them that you want, hmm? Then pick up that pen/keyboard/pencil/typewriter/battle ax (just checking if you were paying attention. Don't pick up an ax unless you're going to go chop some firewood, 'kay?) and get to work. It's not that hard to come up with ideas for revising, it's a whole 'nother matter of actually doing it. If you're changing a person's personality, you know you'll have to change some of their dialogue. You can't have the shy person suddenly saying the angry things you had thought up for their alter ego because that wouldn't make sense. The shy person would say shy things unless an event had been them more bold or some such.


You see, when my head starts swimming with ideas I leave notes to myself for future reference. But when I'm adding it do a story, it's a bit complicated. If I change the fact that the sea turtle doesn't eat the jellyfish, well then in chapter 27, the jellyfish's family certainly cannot mourn the loss of their child, now can they? When you add something to a story, it's going to affect later events, so be careful to change the later events to correspond with the beginning, or else you're going to have some very confused readers.


So to sum things up in a sentence or so: You are the writer of the story, so you can do anything with it you want to, just be sure that when you do change things, be aware of the effect it has on the rest of the tale.


<3 Seana

Comments

Popular Posts