What a Cute Lil' Centipede!

Fred walked down the street, chomping madly on his jelly donut and trying vainly to keep the jelly off of his freshly-pressed tie. He was thoroughly enjoying his day, save for that little incident this morning. Fred shrugged. It wasn't like he tried to run over the cute little centipede with his bike! He just wanted a closer look...and got a wee bit too close. But it was clearly the centipedes fault. It should have been more careful. Fred licked the remaining jelly from his fingers and headed inside of his house, smiling at his favorite antique neon hippo figurine collection that always greeted him at the end of the day.


Fred was exhausted. Centipede-running-over is tough work for a guy like Fred. He headed to his tiny bedroom that sat in the corner of his house and lay down in his wrinkle-proof sheets. He sighed, closed his eyes, and let sleep take over from there.


The centipede listened. All was quiet. It grinned, well, rather, something like a grin consisting of antennae lifting and head bobbing and assorted squeaking sounds. It stealthily creeped into Fred's window, squeezing between the windowsill and the glass where Fred had never bothered to fix the crack. The centipede wriggled around Fred's house for a while, enjoying it's freedom in this new world. Then something bright caught its eye. The neon hippos. The centipede grinned evilly and let out a menacing cackle that rattled the windows and doors.


It was a grueling journey up to that cabinet that held those antiques, but the centipede had always wanted to be a mountain climber, so its experience paid off. When it reached the cabinet, the doors swung open, because since Fred was so exhausted, he forgot to lock it. The centipede let out another cackle and swung its body around, causing all of the figurines to shatter on the ground in a tinkling symphony. The centipede scuttled away, pleased with its work.


If you ever saw Fred, and if his grief wasn't too much, he'd tell you one thing: "I really wish I had fixed that crack in the window."


A lot of really good authors will take a really tiny detail from earlier in the plot, and use it on you at the end as an insane plot twist that leaves you with your mouth open catching flies. It's a good way to catch your readers off guard, and essentially a way to add suspense to the story. (I know, my centipede story wasn't the best example, but when you have an idea, you write it down before it slips away.)


This way works for a lot of authors, but you have to be able to pull it off. If I just had the centipede just skipping along and singing instead of having it invade Fred's house and ruin his antiques, it would have been a really dull plot twist. The first would have simply been saying that the centipede lives, the latter would say more.


Of course, sometimes the plot twist of just seeing someone alive is enough. Y'know that dead guy that you think you killed off with the candlestick? Well, he drank some cranberry juice and now he's kind of alive again. If that said dead person is a villain, even better!


So you see, it rather depends on the context you're in to know what plot twist will work the best. But use tiny details that you think readers who are not careful will certainly miss, and use them to you advantage! Leave them with their mouths gaping open and still catching more flies long after the book is done.


<3 Seana

Comments

  1. Bravo! That's good advice and a great example! Thanks for teaching us that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you. Let us hope that this thanks does no go to my head! (:

      Delete
    2. Don't worry. For now I've been keeping my ego in check. xD.

      Delete
  2. Are you attempting to copy every post I make? First it was that one post about dysfunctional families that you did-- following the one that I had done-- and now it's this, which follows another one I had done. And the good thing about it is that when I read your rewrite of my posts, I can see that what I was saying was spot on. So congratulations, Miss Vixen, you have officially lifted my conceit up a few notches.
    Now. About that post. Needless to say, it's true, perfectly so. Nothing is insignificant in great writing. All my life I've been trying to weave a plot that utilizes this tool more than anything else-- and usually fail to do so. Nevermore! I shall triumph... eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall hope you do in fact triumph one day. It'll be quite a monumental and extraordinary day. Shall we pursue to make it a holiday when you succeed?

      Delete
  3. By the way, I just nominated you for an award. Again. Stop being so awesome.

    Since you're so awesome, you can find the post yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *cough cough* I'm afraid my awesomeness is not up to me. But believe me, if I was not this awesome I'd be rambling on and on making caveman noises that would be most unappetizing.

      But thank you for the award. Please tell me it is not fifteen people to tag this time...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for commenting on this post. I love having conversations with you guys, so please be sure you check back for my reply. That way we can have a chat of epic proportions. (:

(Also, please keep your language clean so everyone can enjoy my blog. Thanks!)

Popular Posts