English Is A Strange Language

A friend found this fun poem about the English language and emailed it to me, so I thought I'd share it with you.

We'll begin with a box, and the plural is boxes,

But the plural of ox becomes oxen, not oxes.

One fowl is a goose, but two are called geese,

Yet the plural of moose should never be meese.

You may find a lone mouse or a nest full of mice,

Yet the plural of house is houses, not hice.



If the plural of man is always called men,

Why shouldn't the plural of pan be called pen?

If I speak of my foot and show you my feet,

And I give you a boot, would a pair be called beet?

If one is a tooth and a whole set are teeth,

Why shouldn't the plural of booth be called beeth?



Then one may be that, and three would be those,

Yet hat in the plural would never be hose,

And the plural of cat is cats, not cose.

We speak of a brother and also of brethren,

But though we say mother, we never say methren.

Then the masculine pronouns are he, his and him,

But imagine the feminine: she, shis and shim!



Let's face it - English is a crazy language.

There is no egg in eggplant nor ham in hamburger;

neither apple nor pine in pineapple.

English muffins weren't invented in England. 

We take English for granted, but if we explore its paradoxes,

we find that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square,

and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig.



And why is it that writers write but fingers don't fing,

grocers don't groce and hammers don't ham?

Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend.

If you have a bunch of odds and ends and

get rid of all but one of them, what do you call it?



If teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught?

If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

Sometimes I think all the folks who grew up speaking English

should be committed to an asylum for the verbally insane.



In what other language do people recite at a play and play at a recital?

We ship by truck but send cargo by ship.

We have noses that run and feet that smell.

We park in a driveway and drive in a parkway.

And how can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same,

while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites?



You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language

in which your house can burn up as it burns down,

in which you fill in a form by filling it out, and

in which an alarm goes off by going on.



And in closing, if Father is Pop, how come Mother's not Mop?

Comments

  1. I love this poem! Thanks for sharing!

    The english language is quite strange, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome!

      Yes it is. I've always wondered why it's so strange.

      Delete
  2. LOL!!

    Whoa, you are totally blowing my mind, dude? Or is it dudette? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea which it is!

      Delete
    2. dudette is referred to girls. :P

      Delete
    3. I know that, silly. (: I thought you were asking whether the author of the poem was a girl or a guy.

      Delete
    4. silly billy, I didn't know that. You didn't mention it. : P

      Delete
  3. One does begin wonder how English became the world's prominent language... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe because that's what people speak in the USA, which is one of the most powerful nations, what with "the American dream" and all that.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes. And the whole "FREEEEEEEDOM!!!" aspect.

      Delete
  4. Whoever wrote this poem is a great poet. But as for the 'hammers don't ham' part, I think that's because in the word 'hammer' the 'er' isn't used as a suffix.
    I heard that English was one of the hardest languages to learn simply because of all these weird rules that there are millions of exceptions to XD
    But at least for English, if you know all 26 letters, you can recognize a word...for languages like Chinese it just pages and pages of different characters :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which is why I'm glad I grew up learning English. Learning to speak it as a foreign language would be so hard!
      Really? Wow!

      Delete
  5. Oh goodness. I laughed so hard at this. It's true; English is a very very strange language.

    Maybe that explains how so many of us writers, most of whom love English, (who write in English, at least; I've never met any who write in another language) are so strange...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa. That was the most confusing thing I've ever read that actually made sense..... LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the most confusing comment I've ever read that actually made sense. :P

      Delete
    2. Hahahaha you make me laugh!

      Delete
  7. Brilliant poem! But, uh, may I point out that in England "eggplants" are called aubergines, so that one's not our fault XD

    Deary me, do I spend a lot of time American-hating on your blog? Because if I do, I don't mean too...XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are they really? That's really funny!

      Haha, no, I wouldn't say you're hating on my blog. (: But if you somehow did, I forgive you, in advance.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for commenting on this post. I love having conversations with you guys, so please be sure you check back for my reply. That way we can have a chat of epic proportions. (:

(Also, please keep your language clean so everyone can enjoy my blog. Thanks!)

Popular Posts