Book Review: The Brotherband Chroncicles Book 1: The Outcasts

Huzzah for the longest post title I've ever done! (I don't hear you huzzahing....) Aaanyway, I just finished this book, and I decided, hey. Let's review it! So. ONWARD!

The Brotherband Chronicles
Book 1: The Outcasts
John Flanagan
Genre: Fantasy, with a touch of Historical Fiction (with all the viking whatnot)

Summary:

First in the Brotherband Chronicles, a companion series to the bestselling Ranger’s Apprentice books, this nautical adventure from Flanagan takes place in the northern land of Skandia. The story concerns Hal Mikkelson, who’s half Skandian and half—well, it doesn’t really matter. He’s considered a half-breed, an “Araluen weasel,” which means that he has to work twice as hard as others to gain respect. Having turned 16, Hal must join a brotherband, a group of boys whose entire future—and, most importantly, their status as potential crewmembers and raiders on a wolfship—is dependent on how well they compete against other brotherbands, both individually and as a team. Although he’s brilliant, Hal is relegated to a group of castoffs and losers who look to him for leadership.

Thoughts:

Well, from most books I've read, it's almost a given that the underdogs will come out victorious, yes? This book was no different with that theme, but what happened to win, and what happened after the win, that is what made it different.

The characters were excellently portrayed throughout the book. They helped to change the main character for the better, and they also did their part to create tension and other feelings in the plot. The main character, Hal, changed quite a bit through the book. The author did well to change him from that dopey kid with the million ideas, to someone who knew what he was doing and to lead on.

I did so ever enjoy the plot. It took me on the winding road of all things confusing, brilliant, and for the most part, good. There was a scene in the book where I, to my surprise, actually let out a gasp. Now believe me when I say I try not to make external noises when reading (hence why you do not hear me let out a belch when I read), but for some reason that gasp was intent on making itself heard. The scene wasn't that gruesome or brilliant in any sense, but it's because the author made you get to know the character so well by then, that you actually felt for the poor guy when---oh, never mind.

The author also included a list of ship vocabulary at the front of the book, so that some of the lest nautical people (like *coughcough* me) wouldn't be scratching their heads and going, "What's a starboard?" (I'm pleased to tell you that it is the right-hand side of a boat. See, I do learn!) I thought it was nice of the author to do this. He also slapped a picture of Hal's boat there too, which was nice because then my imagination didn't have to work overtime.

The only problem was that I hated the ending. He just cut it off after a big event happened, and then he forces you to want to read the next one which my library will probably never have. So y'know, it's a rather dismal situation.

Star Rating: 4.4

Comments

  1. You're wrong: this wasn't the longest post title you've ever done. For a book review, perhaps, but that Toujou blogger award was longer-- and I'm sure you've done longer.

    This review was good. I thought the book wasn't as good as the original RA series, but that's a given since *sob* it doesn't contain Halt. Halt is like Athos. I did like the more in-depth look at the Skandian culture, what with the sailing and all. And personally, I could have done away with both the nautical terms and the diagram, since it was obvious that the boat was a sloop and I already knew all of that stuff anyway. But I suppose it's better to err on the overdone side of giving information rather than on the side of not giving enough information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got me. I must've overlooked that post title. Oops.

      Yes, it is quite sad that Halt did not make an appearance. Tragic woes. Enough to bring you to tears I see.

      True enough. Better to have it and not need it than not have it and need it. And I needed it since my nautical vocabulary skills are limited.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for commenting on this post. I love having conversations with you guys, so please be sure you check back for my reply. That way we can have a chat of epic proportions. (:

(Also, please keep your language clean so everyone can enjoy my blog. Thanks!)

Popular Posts