Book Review: The Secret War

Well, I'm happy to say that I have finished the 2nd Jack Blank book: The Secret War. And now, here is the review, my opinion. And we all know I'm a fantasy book geek so yes, it's a fantasy genre book.
**ATTENTION** After quickly reading over the summary, I have realized that this summary is ridden with absolute crucial details that are found later in the book, so sadly, this is a review with SPOILERS.


-
-
-
-
-
Do not read any further if you have not read this book already and want it to be a surprise. Spoilers are found in the next part of this post. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.
-
-
**ATTENTION (again)** Just in case you want to come away from this post with something about the book, I'm going to say it's even BETTER than the first in the trilogy. Yes, BETTER.
-
- 
-
-
-
-
-


The Secret War
Matt Myklusch
Genre: Fantasy


Summary:

Picking up a year after the events of Jack Blank and the Imagine Nation, Jack and his fellow students are now well into their School of Thought training and are "sidekicking" for official, card-carrying super heroes. But, even though Jack feels more at home in the Imagine Nation, he’s still hiding secrets from his friends Skerren and Allegra, both about his shocking connection to their enemy Revile and about his “Top Secret” school assignment, which involves investigating the Rüstov computer virus that affects the Mechas. Jack is busy trying to find out how far the Rüstov sleeper virus has spread, working to find a cure, and striving to avoid the dire future that Revile warned him about. Meanwhile, Jonas Smart is working just as hard to discover what Jack is hiding from everyone. When a rogue Secreteer—the protectors of secrets of inhabitants of the Imagine Nation—starts selling secrets to the highest bidder, Smart is ready and waiting. Jack knows that if Smart finds out the truth about him and Revile, he’s as good as dead. When Jack discovers that the Secreteer causing all this trouble also has information about his father, the distractions really start piling up. If Jack is going to help prevent a second Rüstov invasion, keep Smart from discovering his secrets, and find out what a shadowy, half-mad Secreteer knows about his long-lost father, he'll need to learn to trust his friends, and to find the true path toward becoming a hero himself.




Opinion:
I liked this book even more than I did the first, which is hard to accomplish. I was worried that the author would do poorly with getting the book to keep going after the swift ending to the first, but I was pleasantly surprised with the result.
I really liked how the author was able to keep me guessing on every single winding road in this book; I really thought that I'd figured something out when suddenly he'd throw in a curveball that left me going, "What? It was HIM?!" I thought it was fabulous how he made it seem like some people were good and others bad when in reality they weren't.
The characters' personalities really stood out and I loved how the author made them each different and made how they acted reflect themselves clearly. (My favorite character? Lorem Ipsum by far!)
The vocabulary was very good in the book, there were plenty of words that kids could stumble over, and therefore, learn.


Star Rating: ✰✰✰✰✰
Five stars! The hardest ranking to receive from me, but this book I felt deserved it for its marvelous plot. I was most pleased by it!






























~Seana

Comments

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for commenting on this post. I love having conversations with you guys, so please be sure you check back for my reply. That way we can have a chat of epic proportions. (:

(Also, please keep your language clean so everyone can enjoy my blog. Thanks!)

Popular Posts