Book Review: Physik

I'm quite excited since I finished the third book in the Magyk series, and this one was very good as well. Here's my review.

Physik
Angie Sage
Genre: Fantasy

Summary:
When Silas Heap unSeals a forgotten room in the Palace, he releases the ghost of a Queen who lived five hundred years earlier. Queen Etheldredda is as awful in death as she was in life, and she's still up to no good. Her diabolical plan to give herself everlasting life requires Jenna's compliance, Septimus's disappearance, and the talents of her son, Marcellus Pye, a famous Alchemist and Physician. And if Queen Etheldredda's plot involves Jenna and Septimus, then it will surely involve Nicko, Alther Mella, Marcia Overstrand, Beetle, Stanley, Sarah, Silas, Spit Fyre, Aunt Zelda, and all of the other wacky, wonderful characters that made Magyk and Flyte so memorable.


Seana's Thoughts:
It was a very good eh...sequel? Third book? Whatever you so choose to call it, I couldn't put the thing down. Ms. Sage does well with ending off her chapters with suspense and keeping things hidden from the reader--instead of just telling us flat out what that character's secret is.
I was laughing so hard when one character goes back in time and the old-fashioned English was so fun, especially mixed with the odd spelling of the "Magykal" words.
The author I thought did well with adding a new character at the beginning, but it was a bit of a drag through that one chapter and I was tempted to put the book down for a while, but I managed to shove my way through there and from there it was a really great book. 
I especially loved the character of Hugo Tenderfoot. His hair is pretty awesome. (There's an illustration of Hugo somewhere in the book. I believe it's on the same page as the chapter that is titled "Hugo Tenderfoot".) I won't go into detail about Mr. Tenderfoot since it would spoil the fun.
I loved the descriptions of the different characters and the different rooms in the castles and outdoors. It made the whole thing seem more real, frightening at times.

Seana's Star Rating: ✰✰✰✰ and a half
I'm glad to give this book the four and a half stars because it deserved all of it. I took off a half point because of the extreme temptation to put the book in a boiling vat of Jell-O at the second chapter. If there's a boring part of a book, points get knocked off easily.

Girl or Guy Book: Both
It's not a girly girl book by any means, and it's certainly not just written for guys. The book has plenty to offer for both without the other getting bored or disgusted.

Now then, on to other booky fun stuff. So you've read my review on Jack Blank and the Imagine Nation by Matt Myklusch haven't you? 'Course you have... Anyways, there are THREE other books in this series. THREE WHOLE BOOKS I HAVEN'T READ. (: Anyways, I'll put some pictures up on this post of the books that are left in the series. Here you go:


BOOK #2


BOOK #3


BOOK #4

And now I'll have to see if the library has them, which I doubt since they just got book #2 in stock. Phooey. I'll have to do the fun job of waiting for them to come to the local bookstore/library or whatever. The waiting is horrible though. Simply horrible.

~Seana

Comments

Popular Posts