New Schedule & Book Review: Leviathan

Hello, one and all. Sorry for not posting for almost a full week! I was a wee bit busy with a camp yesterday, and I got a wee bit busy during the other days as well. But now, I do hope that I'm back on track here.
Now that that is out of the way, I'm going to quickly post the schedule for posts.
Monday
Wednesday
Friday
Saturday


Some of you might recognize that schedule from the Creative Clique blog that I co-own, and it works well for my schedule. So, there we have the new schedule for my lovely little blog.
Now, on to the book review!


SPOILER-FREE GUARANTEE!


Leviathan
Scott Westerfeld
Sci-fi, fantasy


Summary:
It is the cusp of World War I, and all the European powers are arming up. The Austro-Hungarians and Germans have their Clankers, steam-driven iron machines loaded with guns and ammunition. The British Darwinists employ fabricated animals as their weaponry. Their Leviathanis a whale airship, and the most masterful beast in the British fleet.
Aleksandar Ferdinand, prince of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, is on the run. His own people have turned on him. His title is worthless. All he has is a battle-torn Stormwalker and a loyal crew of men.
Deryn Sharp is a commoner, a girl disguised as a boy in the British Air Service. She's a brilliant airman. But her secret is in constant danger of being discovered.
With the Great War brewing, Alek's and Deryn's paths cross in the most unexpected way...taking them both aboard the Leviathan on a fantastical, around-the-world adventure. One that will change both their lives forever.



My Thoughts:
Well, from my point of view, I thought it was an interesting take on an actual war. I really loved how the author made Deryn Sharp's personality really show through the way she would always talk, and how she would act. There never was any variation to her character's main points, and that made me happy since sometimes the author makes all the characters the same personality-wise.
There were little bits of humor sprinkled into the book, and that of course made me happy again. I refuse to read a book where there's nothing funny about it and it's just this blah, blah, blah serious junk.
Would I recommend to keep reading this series? YES YES YES. Please do! There's nice amounts of suspense in both this book and the next.
No, I probably won't blog about the next two books, as there are spoilers involved in those summaries.
There are pictures in this book. But not like in a child's picture book. These are detailed sketches by Keith Thompson. Here is an example of his work in the book:




Star Rating: ✰✰✰✰
Four stars because:
1. Good suspense
2. Clean language (well, Deryn has her own way of swearing, but the way she does it she says "Barking spiders!" so it really isn't horrifying)
3. Personality traits were vibrant
4. Illustrations were fantastic


And there we have the Leviathan book review done by yours truly. Hope ya'll read this book if it intrigues you!


<3 Seana

Comments

  1. I've seen multiple reviews on this, each of which putting in a good word. Unfortunately, as with most series I want to read, my library has had the second and third books of the series for about a year now (I know because I remember looking at the second book last summer for the first time), but not the first. Terrible. But I will read this as soon as possible, don't worry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! Because this is a great series...so far. I have not, in fact, read the final book in this trilogy (Goliath) as my library does not have it. It has not had it for a month, and the other library I go to has it checked out. And the person who checked it out? He reads like a snail. So I probably won't be getting the final book for a while, frustrating as it is. And no, I don't feel like buying my own copy in case I hate it and then would mull about how much money I just wasted. Either way, it's gonna be a while before I get my hands on this book.

      Delete
    2. I've got it at my library. Just saw it yesterday, with a gaping hole two books to the left.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for commenting on this post. I love having conversations with you guys, so please be sure you check back for my reply. That way we can have a chat of epic proportions. (:

(Also, please keep your language clean so everyone can enjoy my blog. Thanks!)

Popular Posts