Book Review: The Lost Hero

Hello, hello one and all and all and one! Ehh...never mind that intro wasn't quite what it sounded like in my head. But I digress. Today I've finished a very interesting book that I think others of you would certainly enjoy reading.


The Lost Hero
Rick Riordan
Genre: Fantasy


Summary:

Jason has a problem. He doesn’t remember anything before waking up on a school bus holding hands with a girl. Apparently she’s his girlfriend Piper, his best friend is a kid named Leo, and they’re all students in the Wilderness School, a boarding school for “bad kids.” What he did to end up here, Jason has no idea—except that everything seems very wrong.
Piper has a secret. Her father has been missing for three days, and her vivid nightmares reveal that he’s in terrible danger. Now her boyfriend doesn’t recognize her, and when a freak storm and strange creatures attack during a school field trip, she, Jason, and Leo are whisked away to someplace called Camp Half-Blood. What is going on?
Leo has a way with tools. His new cabin at Camp Half-Blood is filled with them. Seriously, the place beats Wilderness School hands down, with its weapons training, monsters, and fine-looking girls. What’s troubling is the curse everyone keeps talking about, and that a camper’s gone missing. Weirdest of all, his bunkmates insist they are all—including Leo—related to a god.



Thoughts:
This was indeed an interesting take on Greek and Roman mythology, adding a few kids to the mix and stirring well. If you've read other books from Rick Riordan such as The Lightning Thief books, you'll remember places, people, and other things that show up during that series, that play a part in this book as well. HINT: Percy Jackson.


I thought that the author was great with adding sprinkles of humor here and there. Not too much during this part, not too little during that, and it made this book a winner.


The characters each had their individual personalities, and I wasn't bored out of my mind waiting for the author to hurry up and make up his mind if this character was peppy or not. Some of the characters were really quite ironic with their name and how they were related to a Greek/Roman god. (Example: There was this really buff guy, you know the type, who was taking some people to somewhere, don't you love my vagueness, and they asked him, "Who's your parent who's the god?" And he says it's Iris, the goddess of rainbows. And the buff guy also has a way with their flying pegasus. That little bit in the book had me laughing for at least an hour. I could not stop laughing. It was moderately embarrassing.)


Now onto the tiny squick of bad stuff.


I found a bunch of typos. Not big stuff like spelling "horse" "hrose" or anything that drastic. There were just a few words where the first letter was on one line, and the rest of them were on the next line. Example (using a made up sentence that was NOT in the book):
Jason ran to Hera, clutching his ice-coated stick, which was better than n
othing


As you can see from the above, that is how it would look, except that the first letter would usually be at the far right side of the page.


Rating: ✰✰✰✰.5
I had to take off the half because of those errors. Otherwise, this book had plenty of suspense and other fun stuff to make it a great one to read.


<3 Seana

Comments

  1. Indeed. I agree with you.
    Unless I'm being especially nit-picky, I'll let typographical errors slide since the author had no control over them. That was the final typist's job.
    I'd like to hear your review on the Son of Neptune (the sequel to this).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll post my review to The Son of Neptune when I finish it. I do have it in my possession at the moment, so I'll get around to reading it ASAP. Would you say that it is better than the first, worse than the first, or exactly the same?

      Currently I'm reading Darke the six book to the Magyk series. I won't be doing a review on it because spoilers would be evident throughout much of it. Speaking of the Magyk series, there is another book after Darke, called Fyre, but I don't believe it has been published yet. Sadly, I'll have to wait for it to come out which is always not fun.

      Delete
    2. SoN is better than the first, mostly because it's Percy Jackson starring.

      I still haven't found Magyk. My library has books two, three, four and five on the shelf, but no book one. I went to a bigger library the other day-- no first book. Terrible. But I'll get it eventually-- after I finish the other nine books I currently have out (including Leviathan-- at last).

      Delete
    3. Aye, it is indeed a tragedy among tragedies when a book you want desperately refuses to appear. Leviathan is a good book, and I'm currently grumbling that my library does not have Goliath in right now. But I shall get my hands on it, not to fear!

      I've started SoN, and so far it's intriguing. I love the sister of Medusa who's so oblivious to what she's saying and gives away all kinds of things that an evil person should not tell their prey. Cheese N' Wieners anyone?

      Delete
  2. Hmm... sounds intriguing! Should I read it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you should. But first you MUST read the Magyk books. They're even better than this one!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for commenting on this post. I love having conversations with you guys, so please be sure you check back for my reply. That way we can have a chat of epic proportions. (:

(Also, please keep your language clean so everyone can enjoy my blog. Thanks!)

Popular Posts