Book Review: The Unwanteds

I'm seriously excited for this post! Alright, so for language arts at my school we're doing a half hour of reading each day (Woo hoo!!) and we need a free choice book. Mine was The Unwanteds by Lisa McMann. So today, since I finished it yesterday, I've decided to do a blog post on it. Here we go!


The Unwanteds by Lisa McMann
Summary: (not written by me, but I did edit some things so that they make more sense =P)


Every year in Quill, thirteen-year-olds are sorted into categories: the strong, intelligent Wanteds go to Wanteds University, and the artistic Unwanteds are sent to their deaths. Others just become Necessaries. 

Thirteen-year-old Alex tries his hardest to be unemotional when his fate is announced as Unwanted, even while leaving behind his twin, Aaron, a Wanted. Upon arrival at the destination where he expected to be eliminated, however, Alex discovers a stunning secret--behind the mirage of the "death farm" there is instead a place called Artime.

In Artime, each child is taught to grow and enhance their creative abilities and learn how to use them magically, weaving spells through paintbrushes and musical instruments. Everything Alex has ever known changes before his eyes, and it's a wondrous transformation.

But it's a rare, unique occurence for twins to be separated between Wanted and Unwanted, and as Alex and Aaron's bond stretches across their separation, a threat arises for the survival of Artime that will pit brother against brother in an ultimate, magical battle.



Seana's opinion about the book: LOVED IT. Now, I can be picky when it comes to reading a good book, and this one definitely gives some others a run for their money. The author has a really great way of ending the chapters with suspense so that you want to keep reading. I was a tad bit disappointed with the ending, but I'm told she's going to write more in that series. It's a really great book on an unusual topic, and I think you'll like it as much as I did. I won't say anything else in case I accidentally give out a spoiler. ^.^


Love,
~Seana the bookworm
PS: Yee HAW! Someone voted Cover 3 to the top spot so now I don't have to choose between the two! Phew... Well it's official. Cover 3 is going to be the new Melody's Song cover unless anyone else wants to tell me why they like another one better. =)

Comments

  1. Oh my gosh. I just finished reading that! It was one of the best books I have ever read. Is there going to be a sequel? I think it needs one. But I'm not sure what it would be about.

    -D. Skye

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was quite a good book. I'll be doing a review of it soon. It was a different type of dystopian fantasy than any I've read before, different meaning it doesn't take place in a grey, depressed world; this one has a grey, depressed side, but it also has a colorful side. I quite liked it.
    And Skye? The sequel would probably involve a revolution of the more dedicated Quillians, and would completely wreck my opinion of the author. I think it was resolved well, and it should stay that way. Unfortunately, however, the author will probably get a swelled head and try for a sequel. *shrugs* It's her funeral. But who knows? It might be as good as the original.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, just looked it up. Lisa McMann is in fact going for a sequel: The Unwanteds, Island of Silence. I hope she knows what she's doing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Read my review of this book here: http://insideliamsbrain.wordpress.com/2012/02/28/reviews-on-deeper-and-the-unwanteds/
    Be sure to read both sections, the spoiler-free part and the spoiler-full part. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for commenting on this post. I love having conversations with you guys, so please be sure you check back for my reply. That way we can have a chat of epic proportions. (:

(Also, please keep your language clean so everyone can enjoy my blog. Thanks!)

Popular Posts