Book review: Magyk

Just as promised, I'm bringing you another book review. Enjoy and stuff!

Magyk
By Angie Sage


Summary:
The seventh son of the seventh son, aptly named Septimus Heap, is stolen the night he is born by a midwife who pronounces him dead. That same night, the baby's father, Silas Heap, comes across a bundle in the snow containing a new born girl with violet eyes. The Heaps take this helpless newborn into their home, name her Jenna, and raise her as their own. But who is this mysterious baby girl, and what really happened to their beloved son Septimus?


Seana's Thoughts:
It was a very interesting plot filled with magic and other fantasy things. I thought that the author did well with giving certain people different personalities so that it didn't seem like a repeat of people saying exactly the same things in the same way. I loved how the plot would suddenly take a turn down a path that didn't even seem to have been there in the first place and then it would wind back around to a totally new place later. Although I must chide the author slightly for making the chapters so suspenseful at the ending; I couldn't put the thing down! ^.^ Anyway, I was flipping through it to check for any typos that the author's editor could have carelessly forgotten, and I found none, which helped the ratings. The descriptions were quite good so I wasn't sitting there thinking, "Golly, she should've told me more about that Thing and some of the Darke Magyk!"
**NOTE** In this book, watch out for bold lettering. The bold lettering shows that this word is "Magykal". A Magykal word is a word that the ExtraOrdinary and Ordinary Wizards use in their spells and can Cause things to happen with them. And usually, not always, these words are spelled differently than you would normally spell them.


I also liked in this book that if you were a witch or a wizard or something else along those lines, your eyes change color! I would never have thought to add that, and even those it's just a small detail I just found it fascinating. Odd of me, but that's beside the point. And the ending was good too, but it made you want to read the next book because else it's kind of like, "Well what happens now? Do they just go home and dance through the flowers, or is something else more Darke about to happen?" You'll just have to read and see, won't ya?


Now for a question that I was told by a fan to include on my reviews so that they could see if they wanted to read it. 


Is this a girl book or a guy book?
This book isn't specifically one or the other. I think that either could enjoy this book since it has its fair share of disgusting creatures and dark spells, but of course, there's a bit of girlishness with the character of Jenna, but over all, this book isn't just a girl book or just a guy book.


Seana's Star Review: ✰✰✰✰ and a half
I gave this book 4.5 stars because it was by far one of my favorites, but as I said before, the five star rank is a very honored rank to receive and it's hard to make me give it out.

Now then, there are, I believe, 8 more books to this series, and I'm currently halfway through the 2nd one, Flyte which is very good. Also, I'm reading Shiver, which July has also read, and so far this has been a complete waste of my time. I'll blog on it when I finish to let you know if the ending is decent, but so far it's been a mishmash of wolf-watching scenes and scenes of the two main characters making out. So as you can see the plot is very diverse. Note my extreme use of sarcasm. But I digress. I'll save my ranting for when I review it.


<3 Seana

Comments

  1. I've been looking for this book for a while now, and am glad to know it's worth taking a look-see. Unfortunately, my library has only had the second, third and fourth books for about a month now, which is aggravating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i red that a while back and thought it was ok. oh well, we are to diffrent people any way.
    Callie
    remember me? i used to follow ur blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Callie

      I DO remember you! (I'm quite proud of myself.) And yes, it is quite natural for us to have different opinions. Keep reading!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for commenting on this post. I love having conversations with you guys, so please be sure you check back for my reply. That way we can have a chat of epic proportions. (:

(Also, please keep your language clean so everyone can enjoy my blog. Thanks!)

Popular Posts