Book Review: Inkdeath

Well we've at last come to the final book in the Inkheart trilogy. (See also: Inkheart review and Inkspell review)


The cover looks like a skull if you look closely!
Inkdeath
By Cornelia Funke


Summary:
Ever since the extraordinary events of Inkspell, when the enchanted book Inkheart drew Meggie and her father, Mo, into its chapters, life in the Inkworld has been more tragic than magical. A dear friend is dead, having sacrificed his life for his apprentice's, and now, under the rule of the evil Adderhead, the fairy-tale land is in bloody chaos, its characters far beyond the control of their author, who made their world out of words. Facing the threat of eternal winter, Mo inks a dangerous deal with Death itself. There yet remains a faint hope of changing the cursed story—if only he can fills its pages fast enough.


Seana's Thoughts:
This one was probably my favorite out of the series since I just love the Inkworld that the story takes place in. I really liked the almost old-fashioned, but not really, wording of things that made you feel like you weren't in the normal world anymore and were traveling with the characters through their world made of ink and paper. The author did well to make some endings of chapters suspenseful and other parts satisfying. There was quite a few deaths in this series, but for the most part Cornelia Funke ended off the book in a way that did NOT make me sit and ask, "Well that was odd. Why didn't she write another book?" Because that would be a book full of nonsense that would be repeating what she had pretty much done in the other books but with a new character. The book has a few fighting scenes, but they are certainly not full of gory and bloody details as I noticed the Eragon series did. There wasn't as much funny dialogue in this book, but then again, this book wasn't as lighthearted as some of the others. Of course, it did make me raise my eyebrows when I spotted a love triangle and the girl has to choose one boy or the other at the very end. Ah, the ever-present love triangle. It does get monotonous if every book has one, don't you think? Over all I was pleased with the final book in this trilogy.


Seana's Star Rating: ✰✰✰✰
Four stars is the rating this book receives because even though it was very good (and earned a spot on my "Good Book" list) it wasn't quite enough to reach the five star mark on the rating scale.


And so ends the Inkheart trilogy review by me. Maybe you disagree with some of my opinions, but I probably disagree with some of yours, so it's all good. =) I've finished the book Magyk by Angie Sage and I'll be sure to blog on this fantasy book. There's I think 8 books in this series, and my friend who's read them says that the first ones are the best, but the rest are still good. So we'll see! I'm just starting the second on in that series, Flyte, and so far it's quite intriguing.


**NOTE** I am running scarily low on my "Gotta read!" stack of books, and it's really frightening. I need some suggestions on books that I should read that I haven't read already. I've picked up a few more at the library so I'll have some to blog on soon, but I'll be flying through those in no time flat.


~Seana

Comments

Popular Posts