Book Review: Inkheart

I was planning on doing a book review of this book later this week, but I have time now, so may as well review it! Also, is there a good book that you think I should read? My "Need to Read" list is shrinking at an alarming pace (speed-reader me) and I could use some more books to read. Please leave a comment or send me an email. =)


The cover shows a lot from the book itself, like the horned marten

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke


Summary:
One cruel night, Meggie's father reads aloud from a book called INKHEART-- and an evil ruler escapes the boundaries of fiction and lands in their living room. Suddenly, Meggie is smack in the middle of the kind of adventure she has only read about in books. Meggie must learn to harness the magic that has conjured this nightmare. For only she can change the course of the story that has changed her life forever.

This is INKHEART--a timeless tale about books, about imagination, about life. Dare to read it aloud.



Seana's Thoughts:
The plot I thought was really original and I loved the book. The beginning was quite slow, but stick with it and it gets better at the ending, and then of course you want to read the other books in the trilogy. Now if that summary confused you, basically it is about a girl named Meggie and her father, Mo. When Mo reads aloud from a book, the characters or things from that book come to life. Which is how that evil ruler came out of Inkheart, along with a few others, and another person from our world was sent into the book to take their place. (You'll find out who, but I refuse to give out spoilers.)


This book has good vs. evil like every good book, but I liked how the author twisted it so that people who seemed good at first would betray them. Cornelia Funke did well with having it in different people's perspectives, it is written in the 3rd person form, and she developed their personalities pretty well I must say. A few times the author I felt was rambling a bit, but she got back on track fairly quickly.


Now, I said the beginning was slow, but it is also confusing too. You'll understand it as you read on, but be prepared to have no idea what is going on.


Did you know that this book was translated from the German language? I think that the translator did well. This book has some bigger words, so for you advanced readers it's a good choice. Keep in mind though, that this trilogy of books are quite long. So for those of you who just gotta know what happens and want to know it really quickly, I'm not so sure you'd enjoy this book since it's a longer one.


I really liked this book, will  you?


~Seana


PS: I'll blog on the other two when I find time to do so, and then of course I've still got to do my excerpt and abominable snowman posts.

Comments

  1. Good review. I haven't exactly analyzed the books yet, so I can't argue about the writing problems, because frankly I didn't notice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for commenting on this post. I love having conversations with you guys, so please be sure you check back for my reply. That way we can have a chat of epic proportions. (:

(Also, please keep your language clean so everyone can enjoy my blog. Thanks!)

Popular Posts