Book review: Jack Blank and the Imagine Nation

Howdy ya'll. <-- That was just my random southern drawl coming on there. Haha. Anyways, I've just finished a really great book and I'm gonna review it now! Enjoy!

Jack Blank and the Imagine Nation
By Matt Myklusch


Summary:
All Jack Blank knows is his bleak, dreary life at St. Barnaby’s Home for the Hopeless, Abandoned, Forgotten, and Lost—an orphanage in the swampland of New Jersey. Covertly reading old comic books is Jack’s only solace. But his life changes forever when he meets an emissary from a secret country called the Imagine Nation, an astonishing place where all the fantastic and unbelievable things in the world originate. Including Jack.

Jack soon discovers that he has an amazing ability—one that could make him the savior of Imagine Nation and the world beyond…or the biggest threat they’ve ever faced.



Genre: Dsytopian/fantasy


Seana's Thoughts:
I loved this book! I thought that the plot was excellent; there was a lot of suspense at the ends of chapters and the author managed to keep my attention throughout the whole thing--a feat that is hard to accomplish. I was surprised at how well the author was able to keep the story alive and going without it dying halfway through and making me put it down from boredom. I was very impressed. And I really loved how some of the dialogue was hilarious and was just so ironic that it made me laugh. The author did well with making it entertaining but yet still have a seriousness to it so that it wasn't like a corny joke book. There were a few parts that made me really confused, but I think it was a good thing that I didn't understand what it was about in some parts or else it would have no suspense and stuff like that. And suspense was one thing it definitely had. I also liked how the author invented a bunch of new words to fit with the dystopian genre and used some other vocab that people wouldn't use on a regular basis. It just makes the whole thing more interesting.


Is this a girl book or a guy book?
Both guys and girls could definitely enjoy this book since it is full of action, but it still has more to the story than just plasma beams and sword fighting ninjas.


Seana's Star Rating: ✰✰✰✰ and a half
This is my most common rating for my favorite books, and I'm happy to give this rating to Jack Blank. It just filled all of my expectations for a good book and I would definitely recommend this to other people who need a book to read.

And guess what? THERE'S A SEQUEL! Yes! Jack Blank and the Secret War! The first book ends off in a way that you'd want to read the next book, but you wouldn't have to. It would be more of a wondering what is going to happen to the characters. It's not like the endings of the Hunger Games series at all in that way.


~Seana
PS: Now I'm off to read Here Lies Arthur which I picked up from the library because I thought the cover was intriguing.

Comments

  1. Sounds good! Maybe I'll try to wrangle that one from the library when I'm done with all the other ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, is that a dig at guy books? Sword fighting ninjas and plasma beams indeed. Pah! But then again, my thoughts on girl books are pretty stereotypical too. The only book that I'd consider a true guy book is Tunnels, which doesn't have an important female character until at least halfway through the second book in the series. No ninjas, no plasma beams. Just misguided opinions about centrifugal force... It's quite a good series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My apologies if you found the sword fighting ninjas and plasma beams offensive to guy books around the world. Tunnels, eh? I'll have to check those out and see if I'd be interested, but as you said, it is a "true guy book". But then again, odd books interest me.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for commenting on this post. I love having conversations with you guys, so please be sure you check back for my reply. That way we can have a chat of epic proportions. (:

(Also, please keep your language clean so everyone can enjoy my blog. Thanks!)

Popular Posts